10.7.2013

My Dying Bride interview from Qvadrivivm #5 (2008)





My Flying Bride

Interview: Kuronen

We already know that Aaron Stainthorpe finds women more interesting to chat with than men. Time for some extracurricular information. Having spent his childhood in Germany and toured with My Dying Bride for all his adult life, Aaron is an internationally-minded person. Not the typical Briton who throws a nationalistic, post-imperialist sneer at everything not domestic. You know, Symphonaire Infernus et Spera Empyrium, etc.

“Growing up in a foreign country, it didn’t seem weird at the time but it’s quite unusual when I look back on it,” Stainthorpe reminisces. “It made me so much more tolerant of other cultures. It’s also one of the reasons why I sometimes use foreign languages in My Dying Bride’s lyrics. I’m not afraid to call myself a European. Because we live on an island, a lot of British people don’t like foreigners. It’s a silly thing but I guess most communities that live on an island see the outside world as an unusual place full of weirdos. For me, I came back to England after twelve years. Most of my early school days and learning was done in Germany. Coming back to England was very unusual because Germans are very tolerant and open-minded. When I came back to England I found communities that were very insular. Even though England is a small place, people from Liverpool don’t like people from Leeds, and they’re only thirty miles apart. It’s very tribal. I just thought this is bloody crazy!

“I never imagined being in a band when I was younger but now, I love that we do get to travel to many different countries. I enter a new country very warmly. Doing it the British way and going to holiday on Ibiza or something just isn’t the same. We’ve worked in many countries and we’ve loved it. Even Andrew, who was born and bred in Yorkshire. As a typical British person, his only experience of foreign cultures is going to Teneriffe during summertime for a week. Now, in the band he’s become much more tolerant and open-minded of other societies, cultures and religions. It’s funny because when he talks with his grandparents, they’ve never even left Yorkshire, never mind England! They talk to him like he’s been to the moon or something. They find it very interesting but they still say, ‘Oh, there’s nothing there for us’, which is a bit of a sad thing to say, heh. I love travelling and foreign cultures and absorbing other people’s society.”

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti