9.2.2012

Isten interview from Qvadrivivm #2 (2000)



Introduce Isten 100

Interview: Kuronen

Want to play with dead batteries? Let Mikko Mattila supervise your metal. 

And you thought the sun would never go down.

You thought Metal would never fail you. The biggest part is that you never ever thought Isten was going to let you down. It was always there putting the blocks where they belonged, seeing you off to school on Monday mornings, discussing Metal with you whenever you were lone at heart. Well, bite the iron, it's a deception from your best friend going on. And it ain't looking pretty, here where no sun shines anymore.

The stupid scene has stolen
Isten from me. Just ask me if I am revengeful.

On second thought, you better not. Bitch.

And you, scene, you oughta beware, as I am crushing you the first moment I see your pathetic figure again. Burn in the pits of uncompromising crucification, you scene you.

Rewind back to
Isten.

The first sprinkler ever to shower your metallic lawn. The first puck ever to pass your goalie. It's the back-post of your music, the stop sign warning idiots to come no closer.

Now they have sludged it all, and you feel you could just weep. Since
Isten was your day no. 1, it was the starting grid of your life. You feel you're dead now. Oh yes. Proceed to retribution: 

'My words come across gold, and my throat spits raging Hell's fire' 

The world speaks bullshit. Isten 100 contained an interview with Trey Azagthoth - 'deep stuff', the editors had decided. Haven't my icons been rattled enough already? The last thing I need is one of my All Time Favourite Guitarists rant nonsense for six pages; non-stop, on air.

Enter Mikko Mattila, editor of Isten. 

"Duh-nuh-nuh,"
he cuts it cheap.

Now, don't even get me started on that Treyland talk. Let me guess: The tree of life, excerpt 1?

Somewhere through the halfway of the interrogation, I put the obvious question to Mattila. And he isn't that light-hearted. So: If there's a brilliant statement like 'Arrogance in Uniform. Since 1984.' in I100, there's at least 10 pages of dead-end yattering about sceneness and the like. I agree - but why emphasise the situation to sidereal deathness?


"No, you don’t agree,"
churns Mattila and keeps going with messiah-like statements, less important hereon.

Do I not? Whatever. It's a bit sad that a magazine editor of
Isten's intelligence doesn't see the point. I only dare to ponder upon if the situation would've been different if all my questions had been of the same base as the former. Losing touch, perhaps? Roberto Mammarella seemed to have views of the same ilk, Isten becoming overly cynical and old. What says Mattila?

"It’s not cynicism, it’s idealism. Two questions: "Does Metal mean as much to you as it does to us?" and "Does Metal mean as little to you as it does to them?" That's Isten 100 in two simple lines, courtesy of my friend and fellow Istenite Dominique Poulain. He also stated that the incomplete, unfinished aspect of Isten 100 plays no small part in the big picture: "As a reader you are forced to fill out the missing sections with your own vision of Heavy Metal, your own personal relationship to it." So I take it that if you ain’t got much to draw from, it’s bound to sound hollow and repetitive. If, however, you have ages of great metal resonating in your chest… well, what can I say, "It's a metal thing – you wouldn’t understand"?"
, the editor gives a lecture.

If you're honest, the answer leaves you all-gulping. It's a euphemism for 'if you don't like Isten 100, you are half-arsed in terms and should never contact us again'. No matter how you take it, Mikko Mattila is still the greatest inspiration.

I am just hooding at corners here.

Hm. I'd say we should go for another Dominique Poulain aphorism. With opening words by Mattila:


"Metal’s meant to knock you over, turn you inside out, drain you of all substance, and fill you up to the brim again. Don’t settle for anything less. That is "love for a music that is currently being killed by its self-styled defenders and propagators while its name is flown around like some tattered flag." I know I’ll be into metal this way 10 or 15 years from now, while many of you guys will look at metal as a whore you fucked when you had nowhere else to go."


Once more the consistent question:


"Now, see, you don’t agree, do you?"


Why'd one agree with a thing he has received the most from, in all his life's glory? I am only obliged with one simple human mind. And that's the metallic one, with which I don't agree with, as I was informed. Perhaps I am to kill that mind?


"You remember in Mädchen I wrote that the day someone kills himself because of something I wrote will be the proudest day of my life? All I want is for each issue of Isten to be a deathcheck for everybody."


Deathcheck. Right. There's a lot of them in the NHL. Remember the one that Phil Housley did to the Finnish Flash, Teemu Selänne? Ouch. That was a nasty one - but you were saying...?
 

"Isten is not about wanting to do this or that, it’s about inner compulsion. Haunted in mind bear the blackest of hates.".

Ok, I am all right with that. And no, I never agreed with Mikael Åkerfeldt of you being a sickety to feast on such killing things.

One huge gushing oxymoron, that's metal like - but you hardly know how it feels like to be stuck inside that vacuum. That Mattila of theirs didn't know that much either, sadly. Along other things that seemed appropriate to be deleted, there was something going on about dark forces who, according to Mattila, collaborated with
Isten, when ravaging I100. Then, let me operate the final deduction: First and foremost, you must be throughoutly evil?

"Oh yes, and Isten is a hard, throbbing Satan masquerading as a fanzine."

Isten; Mikko Mattila; Peltolamminkatu 6 A 17; 33840 Tampere; FINLAND


Weren't the humble always of the best kings? Isten must be an exception to the rule. If you need to change your life, and I think you do, order Mädchen, it should still be available. The best magazine ever. No matter how hard that is to believe.

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti